Satellite TV in McGregor
Reception of terrestrial television in McGregor can be very problematic. As such, many residents opt for satellite TV even if they only want the basic South African channels (DStv's Easyview lets you have these channels plus Al Jazeera for R20/month).
The map shows you which way to point your dish for a particular satellite, with the detail settings below. This will enable you to set up your own dish but, should you need help with it or with your TV installation, McGregor's own Phil Trunchion is the man to call: 023 625 1982.
The following satellites are the commonly used ones in South Africa:
- Intelsat 7, 10 and 20. This satellite carries Multichoice DStv. Direction 68.5E
- Intelsat 17. Direction 66E
- Eutelsat 36A/B. Direction 36E
- Astra 1N/2A/2B/2D. Carries Astra channels. Direction 28.2E
- Eutelsat 7A. Direction 7E
- Astra 4a, formerly known as Sirius 4. This satellite carries TopTV and Astra. Direction 4.8E
Multichoice DStv has now been moved from Intelsat 7/10 to the new Intelsat 20, but most dish installations require no adjustment.
"Intelsat 20 (IS-20) was successfully launched in August 2012 by an Ariane 5 V208 launch vehicle in Kourou, French Guiana. Built by Space Systems/Loral, Intelsat 20 will provide C-band and Ku-band for cellular backhaul and VSAT services. Intelsat 20 also hosts the largest DTH platform in Africa (to date).
Once operational in September 2012, Intelsat 20 will replace Intelsat 7 and Intelsat 10 at 68.5° East, and is expected to have a service life of more than 18 years" (from http://www.intelsat.com).